One on one with nature
The Tree House Lodge is not just an “ECO-LODGE” developed close to nature…we are in fact part of nature.
We also hold the highest 5 LEAVES certification from: Certification for Sustainable Tourism in Costa Rica. In the country there are 49 hotels qualified with this certification. In total 231 hotels where participating at the CST program in 2016. This is a product of the Costa Rican Tourism Board (ICT)
The CST was designed to differentiate businesses of the tourism sector, that comply with a sustainable model of natural, cultural and social resource management.
We have developed our houses with a mind set focused on preventing impact to the environment as well as integration with it.
Perhaps one of the most important features of our houses is the integration with the environment, including to name a few:
- The Lodge is located within the formal Wild-Life Refugees
- Roofs are made from recycled materials
- Bamboo incorporated into walls for structural and decorative purposes
- Solar heating on all houses
- Residual treatment plants
- Usage of wood from fallen trees
- Natural oil basedpaints
Here is some more information to learn more about our sustainable lifestyle:
Sustainability plan and politics
- Sociocultural and Ecological Information
- Tree House Activities
- Costa Rica National Parks and Protected Areas
- Indigenous Reserves
- Appropriate behavior during the Iguana Tour
- Bio Caribe Sustainable Residential
A Real Tree House
As an example the Tree House has been entirely built of sustainable woods. All the hard woods used on the Tree House were obtained out of fallen trees. We did not cut any alive tree to build the Tree House.
Most of the woods used on the Tree House are Nispero Manilkara chicle and Casha Pithecellobium idiopodum. Both are hardwoods.
Most of the time these trees we find very deep in the jungle. To get them out we cut them on location in the desired sizes. After that we pull the wood out with oxes. Many times it took several weeks to get our wood out of the jungle before we could build.